REMEMBRANCE DAY 2020
Manitoba Fencing would like to remember the sacrifice of all Canadian soldiers lost in wars past. We salute the bravery and courage of veterans across the country. “Lest we forget”, we encourage everyone to take part in an act of remembrance today.
REMEMBRANCE DAY ACTIVITIES:
- Donate to the Royal Canadian Legion to support veterans and their families. Make a purchase at the Poppy Store or contribute to the Poppy Campaign or create a personalized digital poppy.
- Watch CBC’s live coverage of the Remembrance Day ceremony at the National War Memorial in Ottawa today from 10 am -12 pm, Eastern Time. CBC will also repeat the broadcast on CBC NN between 6 and 8 pm Eastern Time.
- Find out about the Canadian developers of the Faces of Valour App. This app will allow users to “see the story behind every gravestone” through virtual tours of select cemeteries in Canada and the U.K via your smartphone. Learn more about this exciting new way of honouring veterans at: Memory Anchor.
- Find a Virtual Remembrance Day Ceremony in Manitoba.
FENCING: A HISTORY OF BUILDING PEACE THROUGH SPORT
“As we approach Remembrance Day, we would like to recognize the participation of our military members in fencing in Canada.
Did you know that the Conseil International du Sport Militaire (CISM) was established in 1948 following World War II, and fencing was the first sport to participate? One of the goals of CISM is to use sport for deconfliction & peace building between countries by promoting ‘friendship through sport’.”
– Canadian Fencing Federation